Because food is perishable, and because you wouldn't want to purchase someone else's returned food items (like other companies will do), there are no refunds on food items. Non perishable/non-food items bought from www.FoodStorageDepot.com carry a 30-day guarantee. If for any reason, within 30 days of receiving your order, you are not satisfied, return your non-food order to FoodStorageDepot.com for a refund (make sure you follow the Shipping & Return Policy). Items should be repackaged in their original shipping boxes if possible and all products must be in new condition. Opened or damaged non-food products will not be accepted for returns. Upon FoodStorageDepot.com receiving your shipment back, and following an inspection of the package to make sure all the products are included and in new condition, a 15% restocking fee (a typical standard in our industry) will be deducted from you total order, and the remainder will be refunded to you (85% of total order). A Return Authorization Number (RAN) is required (see Shipping & Return Policy).